Link to Home Page for: ESL YesYesYes SiSiSi OuiOuiOui DaDaDa JaJaJa TakTakTak OoOoOo! Dot-Com
--Mike m i c h a e l e s l @ g m a i l . c o m (January 2014)
1. Ron's original ESL site (rong-chang.com) This is one of the earliest, most comprehensive, and most popular ESL sites. (Try this--go to google.com and type ESL into the [search bar]. What site do you see?!) It has more than 1,000 short stories with audio, almost 2,000 short dialogues with audio, and thousands of exercises. And, it's one of our two sister sites.
2. Ron's second ESL site (eslfast.com) (And our other sister site.) It has almost the same content as rong-chang.com, plus you can practice speaking with talking robots, Ask Expert Teacher, and more!
3. Dave's ESL Cafe (eslcafe.com) Dave's ESL Cafe is "the Internet's meeting place for ESL and EFL teachers and students from around the world!" His site includes slang, podcast, chat, jobs, teacher and student forums, and more.
4. Randall's ESL Cyber Listening Lab (esl-lab.com) Sharpen your ear with hundreds of listening and vocabulary exercises, plus links to Randall's six (!) other web sites.
5. Using English (usingenglish.com) "A large collection of English as a Second Language (ESL) tools & resources for students, teachers, learners and academics, covering the full spectrum of ESL, EFL, ESOL, and EAP subject areas." This site includes tests, quizzes, and more than 3,000 idioms.
6. Activities for ESL/EFL Students (a4esl.org) Thousands of contributions from teachers, including tests, puzzles, exercises, bilingual quizzes, and iPhone/iPod. A project of The Internet TESL Journal.
7. Many Things (manythings.org) "There are quizzes, word games, word puzzles, proverbs, slang expressions, anagrams, a random-sentence generator and other computer assisted language learning activities. Even though the primary focus is for ESL, native English speakers may also find some interesting things on this site. This site is non-commercial and has no advertising." Site includes tongue twisters, jokes, and Voice of America material.
8. 4 Teachers (4teachers.org) "Teach with Technology." This site is primarily for teachers, but it has lots of material for ESL students, too (just click on the many different links). It has a Spanish version, too. It needs donations to keep running, so please chip in if you can.
9. English for All (myefa.org) Audio-videos plus text. Learn helpful English skills as well as important life skills. The 20 DVDs are also available for purchase. Funded by the US Department of Education.
10. OTAN (Outreach and Technical Assistance Network) (otan.us) "OTAN provides electronic collaboration and information, and support for instructional technology and distance learning to literacy and adult education providers in California." Site includes resources for ESL teachers and students. Visitors must register. Students can register using their school name. If you don't attend a school, register by entering the info for the last school you attended. After you register, use this path to get to 232 ESL links: Teaching Tools and Resources>By Program Type>ESL>Sites to Use with Students>Program Areas>ESL>GO = 232 ESL links!
11. U.S.A. Learns! (usalearns.org) A site for students to improve basic reading, writing, listening, speaking, and life skills. Beginning, low intermediate, and intermediate levels. Lots of videos and exercises. English and espanol.
12. The Free Dictionary (thefreedictionary.com) The world's most comprehensive dictionary: English, Spanish, German, French, Italian, Chinese, Portuguese, Dutch, Norwegian, Greek, Russian, Medical, Legal, and Financial Dictionaries, Thesaurus, Acronyms and Abbreviations, Idioms, Encyclopedia, a Literature Reference Library, and a Search Engine all in one!
13. Wikipedia (wikipedia.org) An encyclopedia written by volunteers in many languages, Wikipedia is by far the most popular reference site online. Beware, though--like all written material, some articles might contain errors, because a few writers have a hidden agenda or an ax to grind.
14. English Page (englishpage.com) "Learn English using our in-depth English tutorials featuring dozens of interactive exercises."
15. English Grammar Online 4U (ego4u.com) An English/German site. Read and Learn English, Business English, Games and Riddles, Chat, E-Cards, and Daily English lessons with audio.
16. Peter's Online Typing Course (typing-lessons.org) Typing lessons for everyone, starting with where do your fingers go (the home keys). Lots of typing lessons and exercises.
17. TypeRacer (typeracer.com) Who's the fastest gun in the West? Who's the fastest typist on the Internet? Do you think 85 wpm is fast? Think again! This is a great site for improving your typing skills and for challenging the world's fastest online typists, live and personal!
18. Sense-lang (sense-lang.org) Touch-typing program, beginner to advanced, plus keyboarding tutor, typing games, regular keyboard and Dvorak layout, and keyboards in 20 different languages, including Arabic, Spanish, French, German, and Russian. Also has a feature for teachers.
19. Typing Web (typingweb.com) "TypingWeb is a free online typing tutor & keyboarding tutorial for typists of all skill levels. TypingWeb includes entertaining typing games, typing tests, and free official typing certification. Completely Free. Perfect for All Ages. Lessons for All Skill Levels."
20. Learn to Type Online (typeonline.co.uk) "We offer: a structured touch typing course for motivated individuals looking to develop their keyboard skills, and a free resource to aid supervised keyboarding education in schools, companies, and organizations."
21. Power Typing (powertyping.com) "Learn typing with free online typing lessons for Qwerty or Dvorak keyboard. Use typing games to practice typing. Take timed typing test to find your typing speed. More!"
22. Nitro Type (nitrotype.com) "Worldwide real-time typing competition: Improve your typing skills while competing in fast-paced races with typers from around the world. Compete against your friends, earn new cars, track your scores, and so much more. All 100% FREE!"
23. Learn 2 Type (learn2type.com) "Free Typing Test & Typing Tutor: Learn to type with free online typing lessons and free typing tests. Available around the clock anytime you want to practice - all you need is the Internet, a few minutes a day, and any computer to use this website and learn typing! There is nothing to download and absolutely no charge to learn typing skills. "
24. Adult Learning Activities - CA Distance Learning Project (cdlponline.org) Audio and video stories and exercises. Topics include Working, Law and Government, Family, School, Nature, Housing, and Money.
25. Learn English Online (englishlearner.com) This site offers lessons and tests at all levels, using interactive tests and exercises. Categories include grammar, vocabulary, reading, crosswords, hangman, and more. The site also offers English lessons by e-mail at three levels every week - completely free!
26. NonStop English (nonstopenglish.com) Click on one of the flags at the top to learn English in Chinese or 9 other languages (English too, of course). Practice your English grammar and vocabulary skills with interactive tests. Receive free email tests. Register and login to see which tests you have done and how successfully. These tests are really motivating. New tests are added every week.
27. Free Educational Software and Games (educational-freeware.com) This site reviews (with links to) high-quality free learning software and websites from the Internet - mostly for kids, but also for grown-ups. Many software titles are multilingual. Categories include math (lots of it), science, typing, K-12, kindergarten, videos, music, reading, and 3D.
28. Free English Exercises (agendaweb.org) "The best free English exercises from the best free websites. Hundreds of free exercises to learn English online: grammar, verbs, vocabulary, listening, songs, and videos. Worksheets and handouts. English teacher resources. Phonetic. Translators, dictionary."
29. Learning English Online (englisch-hilfen.de/en) A dual English-German site. Learn English words, practice grammar, look at basic rules, prepare for exams, do tests or just have fun playing games. More than 650 exercises online. English forum and daily English lesson.
30. ESL Podcast (eslpod.com) More than 600 podcasts spoken at a slower speed and using everyday expressions, with explanations of these expressions.
31. Learn English Online (learn-english-online.org) 52 lessons aimed at the beginner. Includes numbers, rhymes, songs, and quizzes.
32. World-English (world-english.org) "The one-stop resource for the English language and more..." Activities, exercises, and tests include vocabulary, grammar, speaking, reading, listening, and puzzles and quizzes.
33. Quia (quia.com/shared/) More than 100 topics to study, including English, ESL, Spelling, Reading, and Vocabulary. Each topic contains hundreds of activities. The ESL topic has more than 600 activities, and English more than 1,300. "Quia Web is one of the world's most popular educational technology Web sites." (Teachers must pay an annual subscription rate to put their own activities on the site.)
34. Learn English Today (learn-english-today.com) "Free lessons, vocabulary, idioms, proverbs and business English, plus exercises and word games, for English learners of all levels. Links to English newspapers and radio, with podcasts. Fun activities: Jokes, Riddles, Games, Brainteasers, etc."
35. Business English Grammar Lessons (better-english.com) "We started these online lessons in 1998 to help our own students. Very quickly, people throughout the world found out about our lessons by word of mouth. Now almost 20,000 people use our English lessons every day." Caroline and Pearson Brown.
36. English Grammar Lessons (english-grammar-lessons.com) This is another of several sites created by Caroline and Pearson Brown. Many explanations, examples, and exercises, from present continuous to third conditional, from shall to should. Other Caroline and Pearson Brown sites: English Listening lessons, English Phrasal Verbs, English for Human Resources, English for Presentations, and Business English Language.
37. About.com: English as 2nd Language (esl.about.com) Videos, idioms, listening, speaking, reading, writing, tests, grammar, vocabulary, and more.
38. Online English Grammar (edufind.com) "The free online reference and guide for English grammar, writing, punctuation and learning." Watch video English lessons (english4today.com), ask grammar questions, and more.
39. English-Zone.Com (english-zone.com) "...the BEST English-Learner's site on the 'Net!" "Zones" include grammar, reading, verb, basic skills, fun stuff, teacher, and idiom.
40. The Internet TESL Journal (iteslj.org) The Internet TESL Journal For Teachers of English as a Second Language: Articles, Research Papers, Lessons Plans, Classroom Handouts, Teaching Ideas & Links. Home | Articles | Lessons | Techniques | Questions | Games | Jokes | Things for Teachers | Links | Activities for ESL Students.
41. Google Translate (translate.google.com) Translate text, a webpage, or a document. Google also offers translation tools and a Google Translator Toolkit.
42. SDL Free Translation (freetranslation.com) "SDL FreeTranslation.com is a free translation website allowing you to translate web pages and text into different languages. For professional, human translations see Click2Translate.com"
43. Dictionary.com (An Ask.com Service) (dictionary.reference.com) Type or paste your text into the box.
44. ESL Blues New Index (ESL Blues) "ESL Blues offers quizzes, games and tutorials for English learners. The new ones work on all devices: computer, tablet, smartphone. The older ones are being modified very quickly to do the same."
45. Glossary of Grammatical Terms (athabascau.ca/courses/engl/glossary/glossary.html) This Canadian university site presents short definitions of grammar terms from A-Y (yes, Y) in plain English. Remember to click on "Transitional Devices."
46. Talk with Tutor Mike (eslfast.com/robot/English_tutor.htm) Have fun conversing with this robot, winner of several worldwide Artificial Intelligence prizes.
47. Guide to Grammar and Writing, Dedicated to Dr. Charles Darling (grammar.ccc.commnet.edu/grammar/) Is there anything about English that this comprehensive site doesn't have? For example, why is "news" singular, and why isn't "family" plural? (Go to Index>Plural Noun Forms). Confused about Do and Make? Go to the Index. Donations are welcome.
48. Technical French, translation to French, English French
Translation, French translation services (www.psfrenchtranslations.com)
Philippe Salmon Technical Translations provide French translation services, French translators, translation from English to French, English French translation and technical French services.
49. ESL Party Land -- Learn English, Teach English (eslpartyland.com) "A Fun Place to Learn English as a Second Language! Our site is made to help you learn or teach the language and become fluent in English."
50. Study Zone (http://web2.uvcs.uvic.ca/courses/elc/studyzone/) "What do you do? First, choose your level. Then, choose a topic. Finally, choose a lesson. Study Zone is made up of levels. Each level has language topics. Each topic has lessons. Lessons include exercises to help you improve your English."
51. English Grammar Secrets (http://www.englishgrammarsecrets.com/) "We recommend that you read the grammar explanation on the first page of the lesson and then do the exercises, thinking all the time about the rules in the grammar explanation." Pearson Brown
52. English Club (http://www.englishclub.com/) "Good afternoon, and welcome to EnglishClub...helping you learn English or teach English. You'll find everything from lessons for learners to jobs for teachers, including fun pages like games, videos, quizzes and chat."
53. Really Learn English (http://www.really-learn-english.com/) "Students: Do you want to pass the English exams? Get a better job? Go abroad? Communicate with people? Get more knowledge? In other words, you want to be able to USE English. Many people study English, yet still have difficulties in using English. And using is really the key thing. So let's start improving your English!"
54. English Exercises (http://www.englishexercises.org/) "Welcome. Here you will find hundreds of exercises to learn English online: vocabulary, grammar, listening, songs, etc. These exercises have been made by English Language teachers from all over the world. If you are a learner, you can use them to practice English. If you are a teacher, you can join us."
55. English for Everyone (http://englishforeveryone.org/) "EnglishForEveryone.org is your resource for printable English worksheets. On the left of this page you will find an index containing hundreds of quality teaching materials. To open a PDF file for printing, simply click on the topic of your choice then select the desired worksheet from the links on that page. EnglishForEveryone is affiliated with Read Theory, English Maven and Citizenship Test - all excellent sites for online informational practice quizzes."
56. Learn American English Online(http://www.learnamericanenglishonline.com/) "This website is free for students and schools across the U.S. and around the world. There are seven levels of instruction: blue, red, yellow, green, purple, orange, and violet. LearnAmericanEnglishOnline.com has been providing videos, lessons, exercises, quizzes, and advice since 2003."
57. English4U (http://english-4u.de/) "Welcome to English4u! This website is a completely free site for learning English specially made for ESL / EFL students in their first years of study. It especially contains the most important English grammar explanations combined with lots of exercises. It also includes information and exercises about countries and cities, some crosswords, irregular verbs and vocabulary exercises, texts and quizzes. English4u is an online learning website with more than 300 exercises, therefore all activities can be done online and checked directly by clicking the check button on the bottom of each page. Click the link sitemap to view the whole website content."
58. English Maven (http://www.englishmaven.org/) "Helping students improve their English -- one step at a time. Welcome to EnglishMaven.Org - your resource for free online English lessons and exercises. To the left you will find our index of English subjects. Click on the subject you wish to study. Then click on a link to open an exercise on the following page."
59. E-Grammar (http://www.e-grammar.org/) "Are you afraid of English tenses? Or verb forms? You can practice them on this website online for free in gap-filling, matching or multiple choice exercises. Some materials are also available as printable PDF grammar exercises with answers in ESL worksheets. (See the last item in the menu on the left.) They are all for free, too."
60. ESL Flow (http://www.eslflow.com/) "www.eslflow.com was created in 1998 as a resource for researching ESL/EFL ideas and creating lessons/courses as quickly as possible." --Peter Snashall. Many exercises are PDFs. There are also many non-PDF worksheets.
61. Questa College ESL Support Lab (http://academic.cuesta.edu/esl/ESLLab.htm) "The ESL Support Lab offers students the opportunity to have individualized, self-paced instruction in writing, grammar, reading, vocabulary, speaking, listening and computer skills. There are almost 100 links to on-line language support and practice activities."
62. ESL Desk (http://www.esldesk.com/) "Welcome to ESLDesk.com, a free site for English learners. Not being a native English speaker myself, I started this website a long time ago (in 1997) as an ESL activities page, and it's kind of grown from there. I do hope you will find vocabulary, grammar, spelling, reading and other resources on this site to be helpful in learning English Language."
63. ESL Bits (http://esl-bits.net/) "The sole purpose of this site is to help students improve their listening and reading comprehension of the English language." Audiobooks, Short Stories, Sherlock Holmes, Intermediate, Advanced, Songs, English Idioms, Reading Activities and Test Preparation for the PET, Practice Using the Articles, Radio Audio Dramas.
64. ELLLO (http://www.elllo.org/english/1001.htm) "English Listening Lesson Library Online--learn English naturally. Videos, audio, quizzes, vocabulary. Improve your vocabulary with ELLLO audio notes. Over 2,000 MP3 files."
65. China 232 (http://www.china232.com/lessons#fun-english) "Fun English Lessons: Listen to our Fun English lessons. These are 10-15 minute mp3 English learning lessons. Learn how to speak real slang and sound like a native English speaker."
66. KiCo 4U (http://kico4u.de/indexnew.html) "Welcome to "kico4u.de" - "school-english.de", a website dedicated to teaching the English language and providing an insight into British culture, taught to you by a native English speaker. We offer a range of over 1,200 exercises that can be accessed online and the same exercises can be accessed in the form of printable worksheets with solutions. A large amount is provided for free. We also offer a large range of interesting topics and stories concerning Great Britain and the English speaking world."
67. Adele's ESL Corner (http://www.adelescorner.org/index.html) "Welcome to Adele's ESL Corner. This website is free for anyone to use on the Net. It's designed as a tool with which students can consolidate what has already been introduced in the classroom or learnt through self-study. It doesn't present grammar rules or show students how to answer questions apart from examples in some exercises. The simplicity of the design for the website has been intentional. Many of the migrants coming to Australia as refugees have few computer skills. So, site navigation has few levels to make it easier to learn English online. Disruptive, animated images have not been used. I hope Adele's ESL Corner proves useful to teachers and students alike."
68. Better English http://www.better-english.com/) "Better English have been successfully helping people to learn Business English online since 1998. We started these online lessons to help our own students. Very quickly, people throughout the world found out about our lessons by word of mouth. Now almost 20,000 people use our Business English lessons every day. We send out a free English lesson by email most weeks."
69. The English Learning Website (http://www.montsemorales.com/index.htm#.UwDdBv2YadE) "My name is Montse Morales and I am an English teacher currently working at IES Albal in Albal (Valencia, Spain). This site is the result of several years of individual work, and it intends to be a tool for students and for teachers. I started it on 4 May 2002 with the purpose of providing students with a new interactive tool that they can use freely. It is specially aimed at the students with whom I am working, but I also try to keep it useful for students in general of any age or level." The site includes Vocabulary and Grammar exercises, plus the link to lyrics.com, where you can find the lyrics to popular songs.
70. ESL Lounge (http://www.esl-lounge.com/) "1000 pages of interactive grammar, listening, vocabulary and reading exercises. Full English grammar guide and phrasal verbs section with definitions, examples and tests. Games, puzzles and more." Plus a blog, newsletter, and ESL lessons and materials.
71. Best Colleges (http://www.bestcolleges.com/resources/writing-guide-for-undergrads/) "Writing Guide for Undergrads: Grammar, usage and writing skills are often not covered after middle school, and yet undergraduate programs have high expectations for the papers their students submit. Learn more about honing your writing skills for college."
72. EFL Net (http://www.eflnet.com/home) "Free English (ESL / EFL) Learning Resources: grammar, listening, reading, vocabulary."
73. BBC Learning English (http://www.bbc.co.uk/worldservice/learningenglish/general/) "Inspiring language learners for 70 years." Many audios of six minutes and many of one minute ("Express English"), with exercises.
74. John's Website (http://www.johnmh.com/esloriginal.html) "Links to English as a Second Language Learning Activities." Many great exercises on many topics--great for beginners.
75. Learning Chocolate (http://www.learningchocolate.com/) "Vocabulary Learning Platform": dozens of categories, thousands of pictures and audio, with exercises--just a wonderful, fun site to learn English or five other languages.
76. English Speak (http://www.englishspeak.com/) "With over 100 lessons, Englishspeak.com provides a large amount of audio content. Users have access to two different speeds of playback for each item." Most of the 100 lessons are audio dialogues of a minute or less. Plus, there is audio for 1,000 most common phrases and 1,500 most common words. Plus, there are translations in each lesson for 17 other languages!
77. ESL Yes Yes Yes! (http://www.eslyes.com/) Last but not least, let's not forget to visit this site. Where else on the worldwide web can you find 1,600 Free, original short stories (200 of them using Simple Present Tense only), 273 short dialogues, and accompanying exercises (Vocabulary, Cloze, Crosswords, Scrambled Sentences, Dictation) and audio--all for free? Please enjoy this site, and tell your friends about it.
HOME - eslyes.com